Tuesday, December 22, 2009

No Greater Love

Tonight at worship night we were singing the song that goes “You have won my heart…” and one of the singers pointed out that often we focus on “have we given God our hearts, etc. etc.”, but do we ask “has God won my heart?”

I think of all the things guys do (can do) that would/do sweep me off my feet, win my heart, or at least make me notice them.  The little gifts they make for us, the time they spend doing something special with or for us.  Not even big things and us girls fall like crazy for them.   

All this time there’s someone else competing - striving, working so hard!, to try and win our hearts – God.

He took me to 70 feet (21m) under the sea and with a sweep of his arm said, “I created all this beauty that not many see… all of this! - for my own great pleasure, and for you to enjoy.”  Then he took me up to the top of the mountain where the air was fresh and the breeze blew my hair; I laughed and sang and ran, and nearly burst from the shear richness of LIFE!  (Who made it rich?  Who gave it to me in the first place?)  Then we looked down over the city below.  “Do you enjoy this world I made for you to live in?  I made if for you.” All for me!  Just me and him!  Because I’m special to him!  And when I was out to sea where you can see no land no matter how far you look, he declared his undying love; “as wide as the ocean stretches, you can never be separated from my love!”  He has stuck with me through thick and thin, good days and bad, a strong support to lean on when I’m hurting, someone to gently guide me through pain. He is a prince – not prince charming, but Prince of Peace – riding on a white horse with a castle in the sky and a kingdom that will last forever.     

So much God has done, so much he has given us, is it not enough?  Yet we brush it aside as if it were nothing, and turn around and allow ourselves to be swept off our feet by pathetically little.  Heart breaking, He’s crying out, “Have I won your heart?!”

When my face falls because somehow yet I am unsatisfied, he says, as with every other time I have offended him in our relationship, “It does not matter.  So far as the east is from the west, so much have I forgiven you.”

Near exasperation He shakes his head.  “What more can I do?  How can I show you--?  My love for you is so great…” and we walked together up the hill.  “I love you this much,” he said, and stretched out his arms... and gave up his life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment