Tuesday, December 1, 2009

DAY 1!

We piled into a van in the sweltering heat; no seat belts, windows open, dust blowing in, bouncing around down the dirt roads to the build site.  Expectant.  Hopeful.

We built the foundation.  It was my first time to lay blocks and try to mimic how the professional bricklayers I intriguingly watched when I was a child used their trowel so effortlessly.  I learned the difference between cement and concrete - would have thought I would have known that before!  Learned in the best way possible for a kinesthetic learner; mixing it by hand!  The sun was pretty scorching, but I did my best not to get burned (i.e. I took a LOT of teasing for my long sleeves!).

The contractor as well as the Habitat for Humanity overseer are Christians, but the other workers are not.

All in all it was a good day, though a bit tiring from the sun, but of course I still had enough energy to swing dance tonight! :)

There will be pictures soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment