Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Life on a Ship

Just an average sailing day on Logos Hope...

We are sailing North around the west corner of Africa on our way to Monrovia, Liberia. At the moment we're watching The Iron Lady a documentary/movie about the recent wars in the country; I'm multi-tasking. :)

Today I learned what soft wax is and got to use it on the natural fibre hemp (adds a little more protection coating) that we fixed the van lifting gear with. We had to pull those whippings so tight my hands are red and sore, but regardless ropework is one of my favourite jobs!

There was a Man Overboard drill at 4pm... The whole ship did a Williamson turn as we all pointed and shouted at the poor unfortunate cardboard box.

There is a sign on the elevator door, right under the 'Out of Service' sign, that says:
"God just gave me ONE LEG THIS WEEK! Go Go Go Electricians! I miss my Buddy the Elevator. -Matthijs" (on crutches from playing sports)

I popped into the library and opened a book and happened across a really cool bit...
"When someone asks you how you are and you say you're fine, do you actually mean the acronym for that word - 'Feelings Inside Not Expressed'?" [DNA of Relationships, Gary Smalley]
Yeah, most of the time... How did they read my mind???!

Today it is FUN to have a long distance relationship! (Wow, I'm being optimistic...!) If we were together, we'd miss out on the packages to look forward to, letters, e-mails and phone calls and bragging on my man when he's not here! Every other day it really SUCKS, but for some reason I'm in a good mood today! (Still, I'd trade it if I could-!) Maybe it's because I finally wrote in my journal again last night. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment